Thursday, February 14, 2008

Who would you like in the room with you for delivery?

In general we have a three person policy when it comes to deliveries just to make sure that we have plenty of room, aren't knocking people over and are able to move around the room quickly in case of an emergency. For the most part these three people consist of the father and a couple of family members or a good friend.

A couple of weeks ago we had a young lady show up 29 weeks pregnant with no prenantal care and ruptured membranes. She wasn't laboring so she hung out on the floor while we took every precaution possible to make sure she didn't get infected while we waited for the baby to become a little more "ripe".

Now, from the start the family was a complete pain in the ass. It probably didn't help that the father of the baby was also her sister's ex-fiance and they were both there all the time. You can imagine the arguments caused by that situation. There was also some other man that stayed with her nearly 24/7 in the room that we all assumed was her dad. We thought it was a little weird and wondered why the guy never had to go to work but over all, no big deal.

When she kicked into labor, nearly a week after being admitted, she started progressing rather rapidly. Other worried people started showing up at the hospital to visit her and we'll just say that they were a strange bunch. When we asked her who she wanted in the room with her for delivery she chose her sister, the father of the baby and her pimp.

Oh, that's who that guy is! I should have known, it explains a lot.

Wanna guess how that drug screen came back?

31 comments:

pinky said...

I now realize, I live a sheltered life.

Toosdai said...

Nice. Why isn't my job this interesting????

Katiedid1806 said...

Your blog is just too funny. My husband and I are in law enforcement, so yup - we know exactly the folks you deal with. As a mom-to-be (expecting in September), I absolutely crack up. I am also making mental notes to be very nice to my nursing staff.

Unknown said...

Holy cow. Didn't see that one coming!

Melissa said...

I found your blog through Ashley's blog, and I love reading your stories!!

Working Girl said...

Oh, they always want their pimps, right?

Cécy said...

rofl.
I love reading this blog. Nurses must have a high level of patience and tolerance.

noisy penguin said...

It's hard out there for a pimp.

Renee Shaw said...

Wow! That's unreal!

The Partins said...

I started reading your blog the day before I gave birth to my daughter. I LOVE reading all the crazy stories that happen out there. I was extra nice to my L&D nurse because of you. I wish you would blog a few times a day! :-) Keep up the good work that you do and keep smiling about it.

Ariella said...

Wow just wow!

Unknown said...

Niiiiiiiiiice. Well, at least she knows who the father of the baby is : )

d-squared said...

Talk about a start employee for the pimp to stick around all that time. I would imagine that L&D and ER would be the two best fields to see these "gems" of society.

Mama Z said...

Well of course it was her pimp...totally, completely normal.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. You should write a book.

AtYourCervix said...

Her pimp....man, never saw that one coming!

Christina Weedon said...

I’m reading your blog for the first time today… and I can’t get enough! Your stories are great, and so nicely written! On a more serious note, I want to back up quite a bit to your post written on 9.29.2007, about the loss of a baby. Having been there recently myself, I can tell you that you inevitably made a postive impact on your patient. My L&D care was outstanding, and I will always remember how caring and positive everyone was. The extra minutes you take with patients, especially those in these difficult situations, is invaluable.

jax said...

I love your blog- I work in a repro clinic and I feel like you get the crackheads who I say "welp, you're filled with babies" to.

I'm in school working on my RN- I am hoping to work L&D after I graduate.

calebsmom said...

That is too funny...love that one.

calebsmom said...

Love that one...too funny - thats why I love being an L&D nurse! Makes you realize that Jerry Springer probably isn't scripted..and all the characters come to L&D @ 3 am with these issues.

Jawndoejah said...

An OB would be nice once in a while. I've had 6 births, and had the OB in the room only 3 times. Last time though I had 5 nurses. Wonder why I had 5...still no OB though. My husband is the one I want with me.

JuicyGirl said...

certainly priceless

Wong Family said...

I am cracking up. I was a high risk pregnancy and spent weeks on end in the hospital. I would often shudder and the drama my roomates would be causing ..... you nurses deserve a round of applause

Miles said...

I am due in late April 08 and had to laugh so hard at some of the things that you wrote. Makes me think of what NOT to do to those poor nurses when I go into labor!

nursehari said...

Ok, now I know that the strange ones don't just show up @ our hospital.

Becky and Kevin said...

Your blog is hilarious! I'm 25 weeks along and I've reminded my husband and anyone I know who'll be at the hospital to be nice to the nurses!! The stuff you all go through is horrible - but really funny!

Jennifer said...

I didn't know I could have my pimp present at my labor! That would have made my life so much easier! LOL!!!!!!! (TOTALLY kidding to those of you that don't know me.)

The Kleins said...

That is so true that the ones with the complicated birth plans and those who don't want interventions--get them full force! Sometimes I feel like when they ask specifically not to have something... and it inevitably happens--that they think we secretly made it happen.

Cindy said...

wonder what the poor baby went through after it was born? In the NICU, we've cared for too many babies of moms like this and it is so sad to watch them withdraw.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This blog was hilarious and provided much relief while sitting in L&D after my c-section! Why'd you stop posting?