Sunday, February 24, 2008

Would you like fries with that?

This is an old story but since a coworker brought it up the other night I have been reminded, and thus shall share. I am afraid the nurse who this particular story is about may never live this down but in her defense, she takes it well.

As many of us know, and some have yet to find out, labor can induce nausea and vomiting. Despite that, this does not deter people from stopping through the drive through on the way to the hospital. Anyway, my coworker (who I will call Betty) was taking care of a patient who came in because her water broke. She wasn't contracting at the time, and feeling like it might be her last meal for a while apparently stopped off and Micky D's for a #1 Super sized with cheese.

As labor karma would have it, she soon kicked into active labor, and before long was begging for an epidural. Betty got her bloused, call anesthesia and returned to the room to sit her up. As soon as the patient swung her legs over the edge of the bed, she lost the previously mentioned #1 Super sized with cheese and Betty was the unfortunate target.

I can't really blame her for what happened next as I am a sympathetic puker myself. Betty, feeling the strong urge to vomit that can't be ignored makes a beeline for the patients bathroom, swings open the door and aims for the toilet. No sooner has she let all restraint go than she realizes grandma-to-be is taking some personal time in the loo.

Let this be another advertisement for visitors not using patient bathrooms.

18 comments:

Working Girl said...

LOL! Poor grandma.

pinky said...

Priceless.

Prisca: said...

aggggg! yucky! sounds like something i would do!!

Christina Weedon said...

oh NO!

AtYourCervix said...

I think I'm going to go puke now. ICK.

Taking Heart said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

iambellaluna said...

Wait. Did she puke on the grandma? Holy crap!

I think whenever I go into labor I will be in too much pain to eat.

Katiedid1806 said...

And yet another mental note to not stop for food while en route to L&D. Ewww. And poor gram!

June said...

ROFL

Somenurse said...

AHHH!! As a nursing student with limited L&D experience I am so sympathetic for her. I don't know nothing about birthing no baby's miss scarlett, but i am gonna learn!

yoinkit said...

I think I waited too long before I went to the hospital. Food was the LAST thing on my mind!

~Denise~ said...

Love it!!

Caits said...

NOOOOOOOOoooo hahahahhahaha!!!!

Heather said...

Best story, ever!

Qtpies7 said...

Oh, that is too good! LOL Why didn't she lock the door? LOL
I puked up my McDonald's during my first labor, too.

Birth Sister Doula Services said...

Maybe if the hospital didn't insist on starving laboring patients, they wouldn't feel the need to eat fast food on the way to the hospital.

sherrie0568 said...

ijomg you have the best blog ever. So funny!

Barbara Rucci said...

Former L&D nurse.
OMG these stories are cracking me up. I needed a good laugh---thanks.
Barbara