Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Kids say the dardnest things.

I am pretty sure we have all heard a story about a couple that thought they weren't able to have any children of their own only to get pregnant shortly after adopting. I was taking care of one of those patients and she and here husband, a middle aged white couple had adopted two black children who were both elementary school age.

Once mom was comfortable with her epidural she started talking to me some about her blended family and how the new baby would fit in. She then told me a story about how she was out with her kids in a location where she was the only white person there. Almost immediately, her older child blurts out loudly, "Look mommie, we are the only white people here!"

Ahhh, to be young.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my heart melts!

JenOP said...

I love it!

Lisa said...

Reminds me of my friends son. Mom is Italian, Dad is from Uganda.
One day in preschool a new child is enrolled. This child is black. Friends son looks at new boy and says "Hey, where'd you get the black kid!?" haha....he needed to look in the mirror too!