Thursday, October 25, 2007

No, I KNOW what day I got pregnant.

9 times out of 10, when someone insists they know exactly when they got pregnant, and their dates are off, it is because they cheated on their spouse.

A few weeks ago I was taking care of a patient who had 6, yes 6 girls at home. She was on her 7th child with her husband. Her husband was absolutely GLOWING because he was so excited that he was having his first son. Probably the last four girls they had were an attempt at this little boy that was about to be born.

Anyway, randomly (and they always throw it out randomly for some reason) she says that her doctors are idiots because she knows when she got pregnant and she is much more than 37 weeks pregnant. With my curiosity peaked, I ask her when she thinks she got pregnant. I got the little due date wheel, put her dates in and find out that according to her she is over 43 weeks pregnant. Not happening, especially since she was dated by an early ultrasound that is very accurate due to developmental landmarks.

After a little more digging I find out that she had to have gotten pregnant on this day because after that her husband left on an extended business trip for over a month. That pretty much told all. I wonder how long it will take for the guy to find out that his little boy is someone else's.

3 comments:

Me said...

My MIL does DNA testing... she gets stories like this aaaalllll the time. People never cease to amaze me!

The Booklodyte said...

'piqued' not 'peaked' :)though your curiosity could have been at its peak :)
great blog!

Unknown said...

During my first pregnancy, I started spotting, so I called the nurses' hotline, and they told me to go to the ER.

The last thing that they did for me was to give me an ultrasound. The ultrasound technician looked at it, then proceeded to explain to me that since all we had to go on for dating was the date of my last menstrual period, what must be going on was that I just had the date wrong and was actually at six weeks rather than ten weeks.

I'd read "Taking Charge of your Fertility" and had been charting, and was in fact pretty confident of my date of conception. I'd been exhausted (for no other apparent reason) for a little over six weeks. I had a positive home pregnancy test from six weeks before. I had a positive doctor's-office pregnancy test from five weeks before. So in fact, I was pretty sure that conception had been more than four weeks previously. So I got to find out that I was miscarrying from a patronizing and wrong ultrasound technician.