Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I can't believe this stuff still surprises me.

We got a call from the ER the other night saying that there was a woman who was 27 weeks pregnant on her way in by EMS. She was being brought in from the county jail because she was bleeding profusely. The ER said that when they took the call they had found fetal heart tones in the 180's on the ambulance.

They bring her in to L&D on a stretcher (accompanied by a police officer) and transfer her to the bed. Several of us try and find heart tones but nobody can so we get the midwife to come back and do an ultrasound.

Diagnosis: not pregnant, on her period (I really wish I could ask EMS about those heart tones they found)

The girl couldn't use the phone in jail and apparently she had some important calls to make so she faked her pregnancy and urgent condition for a couple of hours of almost uninterrupted phone time.

7 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. said...

So glad I found this blog. I'm a night shift labor nurse and I can totally relate!! Can't wait to read more!!

cla517 said...

I just want to tell you I love this blog! I'm continually amazed at people's insanity.

Elbee said...

Wow.. the stupidity of some people..

Maybe you'll get some good Halloween pranksters in tonight! :-)

l&d.rn said...

Sadly, I am not working tonight. I tried trading with the "intention" of letting someone go trick-or-treating with their kids. It didn't work.

April said...

Thanks for giving us all something to laugh at. Love your blog.

OBRNinNE said...

love the phantom pregnancy...I just had one about two weeks ago and I still have no idea what her "motive" was...true phantom pregnancy or free wic?

Unknown said...

Oh yea! Been there - done that!